Tuesday, February 23, 2016

How to Make a Pompom Using Everyday Items




I saw the cutest Pompom heart wreath on Pinterest, and I knew that I had to make one.  However, first I had to learn how to make a pompom. 

I went through countless blogs, and I found people using so many different types of tools that were purchased specifically for making pompoms.  I didn’t want to spend the money, so I looked at what other people had found to use; common things around the house.   

Here’s what I found, how I made mine, and something new that I found to be easy and convenient.


The heart wreath I made came out so good, and making the pompoms was easier than I thought it would be.

Pompom Valentine Heart Wreath

Therefore when my kids saw the wreath and wanted pompoms of their own, I had no problem making them.  Plus, it was a perfect opportunity to show you all how I did it. 

The bigger ones were made using two empty toilet paper rolls.  Hold them together with one hand, and wrap the yarn around with your other.


**My picture shows two different colors, but you can do one or more if you’d like.**  

When you’ve got what you feel to be a significant amount of yarn wrapped around both rolls, gently slide it off one end, so it keeps its shape. 

Lay it on top of a long piece of yarn,


and tie the piece together with a knot. 


Flip over the yarn ball, and then tie it in a knot on the other side as well, for a more secure hold.


**I first tried to slide the piece of yarn in between the two toilet paper rolls and tie it without slipping it off, but it was too much of a hassle.  Sliding it off first worked best for me.**

Once you have your tied egg shaped ball of yarn, start cutting the loops around the outside.  This will give you the frayed pompom effect.


After I made the bigger green one, I made two smaller ones as well. 

With one, I used three of my fingers to wrap the yarn around.  However, when I cut through all the loops, I left the long piece of yarn that I used to tie together the loops untouched.  That way, it could be hung or tied onto something for decoration.

 
For my third pompom, I wanted to put a little spin on things, and find something different from what else was being used, but also something found very easily.  That’s right, I wrapped up my phone.


**The first time I wrapped it, I did it with the Otter Box cover still ON.  HUGE mistake.  That sucker wasn’t budging for the life of me when it was time to slide it off.  I had to eventually unwind the whole thing.  Fair warning: Take cover off first!**

Once all three pompoms were made, they were a straggly mess. 


Pressing down on the center to flatten the poms, I trimmed around the edges to make all pieces even.


I then shook them out and went through once again to trim any other pieces that stood out. 

After all the trimming was done, the pompoms were complete, and my kids loved there new “fluff balls”.  You can see below an estimated size of the larger one, so you can compare it to the other two. 


These are so cute.  You can have them as is, or you can use them to make other interesting things.

Click the link here to read how I made my Pompom Valentine Heart Wreath, and for a list of other cool items you can do with them. 

I hope you enjoyed this post.

What are some other things you can think of to wind yarn around to make pompoms?

Please comment below and share your opinions.

Until next time…


Happy DIY-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment